Monday 3 September 2012

The beginning

In the beginning there was total ignorance...... on my part.

I'll freely admit that before this summer I never checked my breasts for lumps, and only went for my first smear test last autumn due to a growing sense of guilt that having produced two wonderful children I really ought to take care of myself and make sure that I would be around to see them grow up. 

So, at some point in May I think it was, I got a mole on my left hand side checked out by my GP as it itches. All fine. I never even bothered with my other side until the mole got more itchy, despite regular applications of E45 etc. Something, that shall forever be referred to as fate, destiny, or more likely dumb luck, made me check the other side, on my right.

Now, I have breastfed two children and in fact, despite everything am still breastfeeding my youngest child, who will be two in October. My point being, my breasts have been well used - they aren't as perky as they used to be, and were never perfect anyway. I've also had mastitis with child number two, on the right side so I wasn't that surprised to find a lump. I assumed that it was scar tissue from the mastitis (not uncommon) so trundled off to the GP again to get the mole looked at.

GP was still happy about the mole, but whilst I was there I mentioned the lump and the fact that having noticed it I'd realised it was uncomfortable to lie on. GP and I chatted about the fact that it was v hard to compare the two due to size, shape, firmness etc so she decided to refer me for a scan as a precaution, something I shall forever be grateful for. 

The letter from the GP came through mid July and I had my first hospital appointment booked for the  25th. So far so good. Very impressed with the efficiency of the NHS, and sure it's going to be a breeze....


No comments:

Post a Comment