Friday 7 September 2012

Last "normal" day

Well, I say normal. Nothing has been normal since mid July. It's more like a "last day with two boobs" day.

My darling husband has the day off, so after dropping the children at school we go for a power walk round the farm (yes, really!) so that we can live it up with brunch out and about later on. During this slightly crazy 90mins, I decide for some reason that setting myself the goal of running the London Marathon either next year, or the year after would be a good idea. Actually, I'm quite looking forward to it. I've been meaning to start running again for years.

We pop to one of the local market towns for food and a quick shopping trip. Brunch was great - there's always time for smoked salmon and scrambled eggs in my book.

A trip to Boots sorts me out with enough painkillers to sink the Bismark (apparently we have to provide our own) and we stock up at the butchers as well - H is taking no chances - he doesn't want to run out of food whilst I am incapacitated! Not sure who is going to cook it all though...

We're home by about 12.30 - have to be really, as our new sofa is being delivered! Yay!! We have a delivery slot of 1 - 4pm, which just about gives me time for a nap. The plan is to then pick up some fish and chips, and the children to have supper at a friends and leave the biggest one there fore 2 days so H has less babysitting to do. 

DFS arrived at 2pm and I am so impressed with their customer service - they put rugs down so they didn't get mud over the carpet, were really quick putting the sofa together, and when one of the feet wouldn't screw in as the wrong screw thread had been used (I had visions of the damn thing having to go back...) they fixed it in short order. Delighted.

As it's leather I'm not allowed to sit on it until I "proof it", which takes aaaaaaagggggeeessss. Totally worth it though, and boy oh boy oh boy is it comfy!

Later on, fish and chips devoured, one child staying away (very very very weird) and the other one asleep, I pack my hospital bag. We aren't allowed to take much in, which is fine as I don't planning on staying overnight anyway. Not that I know what time I'm being operated on. All I know is I have to be there at 7.15 and I can't have anything to drink after 5 and nothing to eat from midnight. No coffee?!!!!!

It felt really really weird going to bed that night. Very surreal, and nerve wracking. We've got to be up at 5am as I've got to be showered and have put a local anaesthetic cream on my breast by 6am, and it will take us at least half an hour to get there, plus we have to drop the smallest next door with my in-laws.

It's going to be an extremely long day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment