Wednesday 5 September 2012

Maintaining radio silence....

I briefly mentioned control earlier and the lack thereof when it comes to my health. I think that one of the ways I have been regaining control is by limiting who knows and once I tell people that "have" to know, limiting the information spread has been incredibly important.

I find I am increasingly "intolerant" of well meaning people who ask who I am with that knowing look in their eye. It is extremely unfair of me - people care, they can't help it, but I am desperately trying to maintain some semblance of normality for myself and the children. Besides which, I'm constantly thinking about bloody cancer. I don't want to be talking about it too.

For this reason, whenever I have told people,  work colleagues included, I have been extremely clear about my wishes when it comes to Facebook. As a wise friend of mine once said "Facebook is the devils work" and I really don't want my current troubles broadcast around the internet. 

Again, it's probably pretty mean of me - it is natural for people to want to help and to express concern, but I just want the whole sorry affair over and done with without too much fuss. 

This must be a particularly British trait - stiff upper lip and all that....

No comments:

Post a Comment