Wednesday 12 September 2012

Results - some swearing involved

I've decided that not having an appointment put off and being seen on time when you get there is not a good thing.

Apparently, 2 out of 3 of the nodes removed 12 days ago contain cancerous cells i.e. it has spread.

Also, they found two sites of "proper" cancer when they went through the lump. One is 4mm and stage 2 cancer, the other is 2mm and stage 3 cancer - whether I'm a 2a or b, or 3a, b or c I don't know. If you want to know more, click here. Trust me to be difficult.

My consultant was lovely, as usual, and gave me the news without buggering around, which was good. 

We both swore a bit, and then discussed the next step, which is a further operation within the next two weeks. Apparently there is no space on his list, but he's going to find a way to fit me in so it might even be a Saturday. I wish I wasn't quite so important though.

I will be having a full axillary node clearance and gland removal, which is a day patient procedure again, but will be less comfortable than the mastectomy has been so far in terms of recovery etc.

As the cancer is Oestrogen receptive I shall start on Tamoxifen pretty soon which I will be on for the next 5 years. I'm not liking the list of side effects on first reading. They aren't the same for everyone though.

Depending on some more test results, if I'm HER2 positive (click here) then I will be on Herceptin, probably, or Chemo. Maybe both? I've no idea as yet. 

In fact, I've no idea in general. I am numb. And a bit pissed off.

There shall, no doubt, be more ranty posts to follow. Right now, I'm off for a walk to clear my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment