Thursday 6 September 2012

Parental visit!

Despite my concerns, we actually had a nice time when my parents visited for the weekend. I managed to sidestep the whole cancer conversation for about 4 hrs after they first arrived, which gave them time to actually settle in.

It is very hard for them to watch their grand children to grow up via skype, so we took the children out for the day on the Saturday to an adventure playground, which was great. The only downside was that it was the hottest weekend we have had all year so we brought two tired beetroot coloured children home to relax in front of fans - no sun burn, they just went red from exertion after spending an inordinate amount of time on a trampoline, zip wire and climbing tyres.

Mum also helped me decorate the children's bedrooms with wall stickers which was nice for both of us, and they delivered the oldest child a dolls house for being very clever and staying in her room all night.....

Despite my poor husband trying to get harvest in we managed to secure a baby sitter for the evening and go out for a meal - proper adult time. Much needed, and gave us a chance to have a proper chat.

My father lost his mother to cancer - she had breast and ovarian cancer, but as it was so long ago, other than the fact she was fairly young - late 50's, when she died, no one really knows the exact details so there's not much family history medically speaking to go one. It does of course make them more worried for me, and if I'm honest, it makes me more worried for me.

It is hard and I can empathise, I'm just in a place where I have to protect myself first and worry about other people's feelings later. I can't break down and cry on their shoulders which is what it feels like they want. I don't though, and I know I've upset mum by not asking her to come and stay when I have the operation, but I'm going to need some space to get my brain around losing a breast - having to share the house might not be what I need.

In the end, we agree that if I need mum to come I can call, and if my arm is to sore to drive a manual car (due to lymph node removal) then dad will bring his automatic for me to use. 

All in all, a lovely weekend. All we need now is for me to finish sorting out the house, get my next auction over and done with, have the new sofa delivered, get the garden sorted, and for me to organise my staff to cover whilst I'm away, then we'll be set. All in 11 days. Oh yes, then there's a hospital bag to pack and a minor op to prepare for....

No comments:

Post a Comment